Wednesday, August 06, 2008

08-08-08 The Olympics Begin.... and it's my birthday!


In honor of the Olympic Games descending upon us I’ve compiled MY thoughts on a few defining characteristics of a Champion. I’ve been reading so many inspiring athletic stories lately, and although no one can be a champion all the time by Webster’s classic definition, ‘a winner of first prize or first place’, in my mind, everyone finding the start line with a passion and a few additional characteristics is a Champion.

A few of my favorites:
 
A Determination to Improve...
 
Each year here in MN, many athletes strive towards the coveted “Most Improved Award.” For many, including myself, this award means more than the Triathlete of the Year or the Performance of the Year awards simply because it’s a value marker for endless hard work.  Determination towards improvement is one of the reasons I have such a love for sport. Regardless of anyone else, you can always compete against your own personal best as a way to truly challenge yourself. Throughout most of my athletic career, the option to play defense rarely existed. I quickly learned that I can not control other competitors, so trying to improve my game and strive for a new level has become my competitive approach.
 
The Ability to Bounce Back after a Fall...
 
Part of improving is learning from past experiences and bouncing back after some tough times. We’ve all had our
tough training sessions, tough races, and personal setbacks. I know at Ironman Florida last year, I was ready to give up and vowed to never do another Ironman (well of course my friends convinced me that I HAD to accept my Kona slot). I learned a lot from that experience, and I expect there will be other races that feel equally painful. Triathlon is a tough sport, and can be very humbling. This is one of my favorite aspects of a champion. Sport is great; maybe even easy when you’re winning all the time, but the ability to stay strong, focused, and learn from experience will make the difference in the long run. Check out the window at Scottsdale lululemon. Love the quote!
 
 
Superior Sportsmanship...
 
What would sport be without great competitors and sportsmanship? There’s something special about those
finish line photos that show fierce competitors embracing at the line. Look at the McCormick-Stadler rivalry, and although they frequently clash, they do in fact have a certain respect for each others amazing athletic ability and are routinely at the finish line to congratulate each other. Interestingly, I’ve had a few people ask about my thoughts on local pro runner Kristen Nicolini joining the local Tri scene almost expecting my disappointment. For me however, it’s a great honor to be able to race with such an accomplished athlete. She’s a true competitor and will undoubtedly experience huge improvements each and every time she races. I don’t expect we’ll be in the same league for long, and having someone that talented to race and train with locally will be extremely valuable. 
 
 
A Passion for Excellence & Commitment to a Goal...
 
Passion is the Lifeline. Without it, you have to ask yourself why. Some people have passion in their career, some in their sport or hobby (you’re really lucky if they're one in the same), but having a true passion for something is so important. I know I have found passion with triathlon.  As I prepare to tackle the toughest races of my season including Pigman 1/2, Nationals, US OPEN, and Kona, I know in my heart that regardless of my place on the results page, I will have utilized my passion and commitment to do MY best possible preparation.
 
 
Positive Confidence...
 
This is certainly a self perpetuation cycle. You gain confidence from success and you gain success from confidence…so one would ask where do you start?  Training is about gaining confidence in your strengths and abilities. I remember all the classroom mental training sessions we had in college before the big championship tournaments, the endless talks about confidence, but in reality you can read and hear those words over and over again, but it’s in the heartfelt preparation and the purposeful training where confidence is fostered. Deep in your heart you have to believe that you can do it.
 
Ability to Eliminate Negative Distractions...
 
This is another big one: everyone has their “things” in life. Indeed some distractions are much bigger than others. In fact, sometimes these distractions are largely out of your control and even irrational, but it’s the ability to handle the circumstances and remove the negativity that helps you rise above.  Terry Orlick, author of the great book, The Pursuit of Excellence" considers distraction control one of the most important mental skills affecting the quality and consistency of performance.
 
Some Sacrifice...
 
Nobody gets to a high level in Sport without hard work and sacrifice. Some may have a tougher road, there is no doubt about that (the inspiring Scott Rigsby and Sarah Reinertsen come to mind), but nothing comes easy for any athlete.
Giving up precious time with family and friends is a classic example. In addition, the financial sacrifices made to travel and compete, can be tough on many. Ideally these sacrifices can be used as sources of motivation for giving it your very best effort each and every time you make it to the start line.
 
Embraces and Thrives under Pressure...

As I think about the Olympic Games, with so many athletes converging in one place to show the world what they can do, I can only imagine all the emotions and the pressures these athletes are facing.  These athletes are the best in the world at their given sport, and have been living for this moment for most of their lives. These champions have an amazing ability to embrace this pressure and turn it into unbelievable performances. I think about the Chinese Hurdler, Liu Xiang who has the weight of the country pride on his shoulder for a sub 20 second race (his legs are insured for US$13.3 million). It gives me chills just thinking about it!
 
ENJOY THE OLYMPIC SPIRIT AND THE ENDLESS INSPIRATIONAL PERFORMANCES!

(Insert NBC Olympic chime here-that gets the blood pumping each and every time)