Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Please Be Safe Out There!

As spring approaches, many of us are so trilled to take the bike off the trainer and venture out to the open roads. The key part of that sentence is that YES, THE ROAD IS OPEN, which means everything, including cars, garbage, road kill, flying debris etc. are hazards. My point here, is that this time of year, as we are so excited to hit the road, we must remember to stay focused and safe.

In the last week, I’ve been painfully reminded of the dangers we face when we ride outside. I was devastated to read the story about Pro triathlete Kristy Gough, who was killed in California by a Speeding Sheriff, then a few days later I read again that a West Virginia triathlete, Charles Williamson, was struck and killed by a motorist while cycling. Of course, I don’t know these individuals, but we are all connected with our love for the ‘open road’. Just recently, while checking my favorite blogs, I read a sad story on Jennifer Harrison’s blog about Marit Chislock-Lauterbach’s bike accident. Although, I have never met Marit personally, I know she is an outstanding athlete with a wonderful spirit, and like many of us, has a deep love for triathlon. She was in her final prep stages for Ironman Arizona, and while on a training ride in California, she crashed with her training buddy, and ended up in the hospital with a fractured sacrum. Although looking on the bright side, it could have been much worst, I feel so sad for her and the pain she must be experiencing. In just seconds, thoughts shift from qualifying for Kona to merely walking again. I wish nothing but the speediest recovery for Marit and hope that she finds some relief knowing how many people care about her and wish her well.

PLEASE be extra careful out there! These sad stories have deepened my appreciation for what I have; Life is indeed fragile and cannot be taken for granted, so go and make the most of it, BUT be safe!