Thursday, May 29, 2008

Road Trip


I’m really excited to take off this weekend with my best buddies en route to the Pigman Sprint triathlon. Although it may seem crazy to drive 4+ hours for a 70 min race, this event is certainly worth it. Similar to last year, we’ll pile 4 people, 4 bikes, and gear into our mini van for yet another Fun race experience. We may even have a pug along for the ride!!

Last year, the Pigman organizers decided to do an Equalizer challenge for the elite racers. They came up with a time handicap for the women with a goal to have a sprint finish between the top man and woman. With TJ Tollakson on the start line, the women received close to a 10 min head start. The race is only .5K swim, 25K bike, and 5K run, so its a red line effort all the way (just the way I like it). Although the equalizer winner took home an extra $500, the equalizer was a novelty, and MY GOAL for the race was to break the existing course record… I got out on the bike in the lead (it was neat experience to follow the Lead Car), and rode as hard as I could. The run was painful, and although I noticed I still had a sizable lead on TJ at the turnaround, I kept digging deep knowing I had no time to spare if I wanted the record. I finished about a minute and half in front of TJ (his actual margin of victory was 8:23), and I snuck under the record time. This year, my goal is the same…I want to break my CR. With DKT and TJ on the line this weekend, I’m sure it will be interesting. I can’t imagine the women will get the same generous equalizer, but that only adds to the fun!!

Good luck to all the racers this weekend—BE GREAT!