Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Alive and Well !!

I know I’ve been neglecting my blog, and many other blogs for that matter, but on that note, I want to thank many of you for your kind emails, and Facebook comments asking if things are going OK. These notes served as a very pleasant reminder of why I joined Blogland in the first place.
I’ve been blogging for about a year now… It was shortly after Marit’s terrible bike crash last year, when I became truly amazed with the outpouring of support and camaraderie amongst the tri blogging community (I was a periodic 'lurker' back then). I immediately realized that joining this world was something I wanted to do. Many of us know each other’s names from the races, but blogging helps bridge the gap between competitor and friend. I wanted to establish additional relationships outside the local tri community, and keep existing friends and family in the loop at the same time. I found blogging to be an effective vehicle for that. As I reflect on last year, I remember how many people (both local and national) who would introduce themselves at races, thanking me for writing and sharing my experiences. People I didn’t even know, and would have probably never met without the connection established through blogging. I recall getting together with fellow bloggers at races (for both racing and spectating) and it was like we were long lost friends. This is a wonderful way to increase the fun factor of this amazing sport. There’s nothing better than having more people to follow and support especially during Ironman events…
As many of you know, my desire to write and share my stories has been seriously challenged over the course of the year. ‘One Bad Apple Spoils the Whole Bunch’ so to speak. It’s obvious this person’s continuous obsession will not subside; therefore I have decided to remove the comment option from my blog. Thankfully with the help of Facebook, I’ll be able to stay connected with many fellow bloggers without the poison of the Bad Apple, as well as hopefully keep you all out of her Line of Fire!
…and to answer the question… Yes, Things are going very well. I’m enjoying the new job, despite the longer hours and information overload, and I remain confident that this was the right move for me. Training is coming along…We enjoyed two weeks of outdoor training over the Holidays in AZ which helped jump start the conditioning (from post Ironman hibernation), and thankfully Kerry and I are on our way back to the Valley on Thursday. Bring on the warmer temps!!